Anyway, after another stint of research, I found out where this is accomplished in the Mac OS X driver.
How to print duplex on Brother HL-2170W printer on Mac OS X
In short, the even/odd pages setting is under Paper Handling, not Layout.
Manual duplex printing from the paper tray
- Choose "Print" from the File menu and open the Print dialogue.
- Choose the "Paper Handling" option in the Presets.
- Choose "Even numbered pages" and click on Print.
- After the even pages are printed, remove them from the output tray, flip over the paper and place back into the paper tray, so that the printed pages face up, with the bottom edge first.
- Again choose the "Paper Handling" option in the Presets as you did in the Step 2.
- Choose "Odd numbered pages" and click on Print.